Professional Practice Committee Chair
Carola Zillikens MD, PhD
Associate Professor and staff member at the Department of Internal Medicine section Endocrinology of Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
She has initiated and is heading the Erasmus MC Bone Center, a multidisciplinary expertise center for patients with metabolic bone diseases and disorders of calcium and phosphate homeostasis. She is president of the Dutch Society for Calcium and Bone Metabolism (NVCB). Her research topics concern the genetic background of complex diseases such as osteoporosis and obesity, the relation of osteoporosis with chronic diseases and mortality and the genetic background of unexplained familial osteoporosis and atypical femur fractures. She is principal investigator in several multi-center trials on treatment of osteoporosis. She has published over 120 papers in high-impact journals with (shared) first authorships in the New England Journal of Medicine, Nature Genetics, PLOS Genetics and co-authorship in several Nature papers. She is frequently reviewing manuscripts for medical journals.
- to comment on topical issues of clinical importance
- to respond to specific clinical queries where ECTS has been asked to give a view
- to identify the needs of ECTS members who are in clinical practice.
- to assist with satisfying the educational requirements of ECTS members by working closely with the ECTS Training and Programme Committees to identify areas that require debate at the annual meeting and suitable topics for training courses
- Carola Zillikens (Committee Chair)
- Maria Luisa Bianchi
- Jean-Jacques Body
- Juliet Compston
- Richard Eastell
- Paul Lips
- Stuart Ralston
- Jan Stepan
- Elena Tsourdi