The ECTS Mentor Scheme is a unique opportunity for ECTS New Investigator members to be matched with an experienced professional to gain career advice, support and guidance. This scheme is a development technique based on the use of one-to-one meetings to enhance an individual’s skills, knowledge and performance.
Aims & Objectives
- To support learning and development of Mentees in a non-directive manner
- To encourage networking between New Investigators and advanced post-docs as well as established professionals in the field
- To gain a realistic insight into their chosen profession
- To develop personal and professional competencies
Who are the Mentors?
- Experienced professionals volunteer at various stages of their career (>3 years post-doc)
- From a wide range of sectors and professions, both clinical and non-clinical, industry, press, etc.
- Based in Europe (and overseas)
- Are you interested to become a mentor? Then send a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Who a Mentor will be and what should do
- A friendly face
- Keen on helping mentees and willing to answer questions or direct mentees to the most appropriate source of advice
- Be aware of limits of confidentiality
- Maintain contact with their mentees
- Seek advice from the mentoring scheme coordinators if necessary
- Mentors are NOT counselors, social workers, financial advisers or academic tutors
- Mentors should be ECTS Members
Duration Mentor-Mentee matching
- Mentoring term will be for one year
- Mentoring scheme: quarterly skype meetings and one face-to-face meeting per year is recommended
Who can apply to become a Mentee?
- New Investigators motivated to improving their career development and skills
- New Investigators are defined as PhDs/post-docs <3 years after completing their PhD/MD/DMD or equivalent
- New Investigators who are open to new ideas and feedback
- Must be an ECTS member
- Will be expected to take the lead in the communication, contacting their mentor at regular intervals and arranging meetings (e.g. at the ECTS annual congress)
Mentee Application Process
- Select 3 Mentors from the ECTS Academy Mentors List
- Complete and Submit the online ECTS Academy Mentor Scheme Application
- Applications are open throughout the year
Please Note: during the application process you will be prompted to submit a CV and indicate the names of your 3 selected mentors. While preferences will be taken into account during the Mentee-Mentor match, the final allocation will be confirmed based on Mentors’ availability. Applicants should not contact the Mentors as all interactions will be handled by ECTS.
Review Process and Quality Control
- Mentor assignment will be done within 15 days of application
- First meeting with the mentor
- Mentees will write a short report after the end of the year on the usefulness of the program
- Feedback of the mentees on the mentoring process
- Feedback of the mentor in the mentoring process