Scientific Programme Committee Chair
Education/ Current position: PhD, Biological Science, 1977; Professor of Histology, University of L’Aquila, Italy.
Training: University of Berne (CH), 1982; Oxford University (UK), 1984; Washington University at St. Louis, MO (USA), 1986; 1987.
Honours and Awards: Chemofux Prize, 1991; Prix André Lichtwitz, 1993; Swiss Bridge Award, 2008; ECTS Mike Horton Award, 2013.
Editorial Duties/ Peer Review Panels: Editorial Boards: Bone; Calcif Tissue Int; Arch Biochem Biophys; BoneKey Reports; Br J Pharmacol. Reviewer: >40 international Journals & 15 grant agencies.
Professional Societies: President: Association of Osteobiology. Past Treasurer: ECTS. Past Vice President, IBMS; Current member: Research Prize Committee, AuSBMR; Women’s Committee, ASBMR.
Publications: 180 peer-review articles
Scientific achievements: Osteoclast isolation, characterization, podosome discovery, intracellular calcium mobilization and pH regulation; pathogenesis and experimental therapy of osteopetrosis; role of c-Src in osteoblasts; role of IL-6 in bone metabolism; role of PRELP and CHAD in bone metabolism; role of lipocalin 2 in bone biomechanics.
- Bo Abrahamsen (Copenhagen, Denmark) – Co-Chair
- Willem Lems (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) – Clinical Co-Chair
- Hanna Taipaleenmaeki (Hamburg, Germany) – Basic and Translational Co-Chair
- Andrei Chagin (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Stuart Ralston (Edinburg, UK)
- Cristina Sobacchi (Milan, Italy)
- Claudine Blin (Nice, France)
- Judith Donáth (Budapest, Hungary)
International Associate Members:
- Yuuki Imai (Ehime, Japan)
- Alison Boyce (Bethesda, USA)
Local Organising Committee:
- Jean-Jacques Body (Brussels, Belgium) – Chair
- V. Badot (Brussels)
- F. Baleanu (Brussels)
- P. Bergmann (Brussels)
- E. Gielen (Leuven)
- F. Journé (Mons)
- C. Maes (Leuven)
- W. Van Hul (Antwerp)
- A. Willaert (Gent)