Geert Carmeliet is MD, trained in pediatrics (KU Leuven, Belgium) and obtained her PhD in Biomedical Sciences (KU Leuven). Since 1995, she switched to an academic career and is now Professor in Medicine and Chairman of the Division of Clinical and Experimental Endocrinology, KU Leuven. She is first, corresponding and/or senior author in a broad spectrum of basic and translational journals in the field of bone development, pathology and regeneration, but also in more general biomedical journals including Nature, Cell Metab, JCI, PNAS. She is involved in training and teaching medical students and PhD students. She is member of the Royal Academy of Medicine of Belgium, member of the FWO expert panel and was member of the Scientific Research Council, KU Leuven. She is an invited speaker at international conferences (Gordon, Keystone, ASBMR).
Committee Role & Responsibilities
ECTS achieve its mission by promoting and providing the science-based information that stakeholders need for their practice. The Committee will work towards supporting the ECTS Strategic Plan to position ECTS as the main European authority on issues in the bone field and to develop clinical and basic science policies and consensus.
The Policies & Consensus Committee will:
- Consider and comment on policies and topical issues that are relevant to the bone field and research in general
- Develop guidelines and position papers
- Respond to specific scientific queries where ECTS has been asked to give a view
- Comment on topical issues
- Assist with satisfying the educational requirements of ECTS members by working closely with the ECTS Education and Scientific Programme Committees to identify areas that require debate at the annual congress
Committee Structure & Composition
Basic Science Practice Action Group
- Bjorn Busse, Co-Chair
- Moustapha Kassem
- Wim Van Hul
- Reinhold Erben
- Eleni Douni