Carola Zillikens MD, PhD
Associate Professor and staff member at the Department of Internal Medicine section Endocrinology of Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
She has initiated and is heading the Erasmus MC Bone Center, a multidisciplinary expertise center for patients with metabolic bone diseases and disorders of calcium and phosphate homeostasis. She is president of the Dutch Society for Calcium and Bone Metabolism (NVCB). Her research topics concern the genetic background of complex diseases such as osteoporosis and obesity, the relation of osteoporosis with chronic diseases and mortality and the genetic background of unexplained familial osteoporosis and atypical femur fractures. She is principal investigator in several multi-center trials on treatment of osteoporosis. She has published over 120 papers in high-impact journals with (shared) first authorships in the New England Journal of Medicine, Nature Genetics, PLOS Genetics and co-authorship in several Nature papers. She is frequently reviewing manuscripts for medical journals.
Committee Role & Responsibilities
ECTS achieve its mission by promoting and providing the science-based information that stakeholders need for their practice. The Committee will work towards supporting the ECTS Strategic Plan to position ECTS as the main European authority on issues in the bone field and to develop clinical and basic science policies and consensus.
The Policies & Consensus Committee will:
- Consider and comment on policies and topical issues that are relevant to the bone field and research in general
- Develop guidelines and position papers
- Respond to specific scientific queries where ECTS has been asked to give a view
- Comment on topical issues
- Assist with satisfying the educational requirements of ECTS members by working closely with the ECTS Education and Scientific Programme Committees to identify areas that require debate at the annual congress
Committee Structure & Composition
Clinical Practice Action Group
- Jean-Jacques Body, Co-Chair
- Eugene McCloskey
- Christian Meier
- Jessica Pepe
- Andrea Palermo, ECTS Academy
Rare Bone Diseases Action Group
- Martine Cohen-Solal, Co-Chair
- Heide Siggelkow
- Corinna Grasemann
- Luca Sangiorgi
- Gavin Clunie