The ECTS Academy offers different formats of mentoring for New Investigators, including undergraduates, PhD students and early stage post-docs.
Mentoring Session @ ECTS Conference
The Mentoring Session is an integral part of the annual ECTS conference. This is an interactive session giving the New Investigators an opportunity to discuss various topics with the leaders in the field: Interactive, round table discussion (3×20 min).
If you couldn’t attend the conference or if you seek for more discussion and advice check out our Mentoring Chat. Informal discussions of specific topics with members of the ECTS Academy are organized three times a year as videoconferences. Please find below more information on the topic and registration procedure for the next event. This is also a great opportunity to meet potential mentors for the participation in the Mentoring Scheme.
Next Mentoring Chat
|Topic:||What Color Is Your Parachute? A session on career coaching.|
|Description:||A job is a place where you spend more daytime than with your family and friends. To make sure you spend this time doing something you love and that makes you happy, you need to do a little bit of research. Not the research that you are used to but a search of your own talents, what gives you energy, what takes away your energy etc. There is a very big world available outside the universities and
I will share with you my own story and some practical tips and tricks to get you started. Career coaching is something that you can get help with but also something that starts and ends with you so you can do a lot on your own. Additionally, I will share some useful questions that you can use in interviews to get the information you need (and not only what they have prepared to share with you) but also some tricks in getting your story to the interviewer in the way that you want to present yourself..
|Hosts:||Inge Neels, www.pono.be|
|Time & Date:||8/03/23, 4pm CET|
|Registration:||For registration click here. Login details will be provided upon registration.|
|Questions:||We invite you to ask any questions that you already have on your mind before the meeting so that we can try to give due attention to the aspects you are most interested in.|
The Mentor Scheme is a unique opportunity for ECTS New Investigator members to be matched with an experienced professional to gain career advice, support and guidance. This scheme is a development technique based on the use of one-to-one meetings to enhance an individual’s skills, knowledge and performance. Content of the meetings remain strictly confidential between mentee and mentor.
Aims & Objectives
- To support learning and development of Mentees in a non-directive manner
- To encourage networking between New Investigators and advanced post-docs and young PIs as well as established professionals in the field
- To develop personal and professional competencies
Duration of Mentor-Mentee Pairings
- Mentoring term will be for two years
- Mentoring scheme: quarterly skype meetings and one face-to-face meeting per year is recommended
Who can apply to become a Mentee?
- New Investigators motivated to improve their career development and skills
- New Investigators are defined as PhDs/post-docs <3 years after completing their PhD/MD/DMD or equivalent
- New Investigators who are open to new ideas and feedback
- Must be an ECTS member
- Will be expected to take the lead in the communication, contacting their mentor at regular intervals and arranging meetings (e.g. at the ECTS annual congress)
Who are the Mentors?
- Experienced professionals volunteer at various stages of their career (>3 years post-doc)
- From a wide range of sectors and professions, both clinical and non-clinical, industry, press, etc.
Mentee Application Process
- Select 3 Mentors from the ECTS Academy Mentors List (you may want to take the chance to attend a Mentoring Chat to get to known to our mentors)
- Complete and Submit the online ECTS Academy Mentor Scheme Application along with your CV
- Applications are open throughout the year
If you have any questions regarding our program do not hesitate to get in touch with us.