A new initiative from the European Calcified Tissue Society (ECTS), this two-day training course is particularly designed for clinicians in training with a particular interest in the field of mineral metabolism and metabolic bone diseases, including osteoporosis.
The programme will provide participants with the fundamental and advanced knowledge in clinical skills for the evaluation and management of patients with a metabolic bone disease. Delegates will also gain a comprehensive understanding of diagnostic tools and treatment options.
The training course will combine state-of-the-art lectures with discussion of cases in small groups. It will offer plenty of opportunities for networking and share ideas.
The 2022 training course will develop over two-full days training and will:
- Inform about metabolic bone diseases and disorders of mineral homeostasis
- Discuss cases to illustrate key points in diagnosis and treatment
- Identify clinical guidelines that should be followed
- Offer advice about management of individual cases
Topics to cover:
- Regulation of calcium and phosphate, including parathyroid hormone, FGF23 and vitamin D
- Osteomalacia: vitamin D-induced and hypophosphatemic
- Hypocalcemia and hypercalcemia
- Hypophosphatemia and hyperphosphatemia
- Primary hyperparathyroidism and hypoparathyroidism
- Chronic kidney disease-mineral bone disorder
- Glucocorticoid-induced bone disease
- Malignancy and bone
- Male osteoporosis
- Premenopausal osteoporosis
- Bone imaging in adults