The ISBMR was established in 1996 and registered under the Indian Societies Registration Act 21, of 1860, on the initiative of the founder chairperson Dr. Ajay Gupta, Nephrologist, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit. The lack of trained experts in this field in India was the main reason why expatriate Indians like Dr. Gupta, Dr. D. Sudhaker Rao (Chief, Bone and Mineral Division, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit), and others, got together with Dr. Ambrish Mithal (then a faculty member at the Department of Endocrinology at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow) to give the initial thrust to ISBMR activities. Late Professor M.M.S. Ahuja (New Delhi) was the guiding force and founder President of the Society. Dr. Ambrish Mithal was the first Secretary of the Society and conducted its first meeting in Lucknow in 1998 at SGPGI.
Present Board Members:
President – Dr. Usha Sriram
Vice-president – Dr. Sushil Gupta
Secretary – Dr. Thomas V Paul
Hon. CEO – Brig. Satish Kukreja (retd)
Chief Advisor – Dr. Ambrish Mithal
Advisor – Dr. Nikhil Tandon
The objectives of ISBMR are to promote research and disseminate knowledge about metabolic bone diseases like osteoporosis, rickets, osteomalacia and renal osteodystrophy in India. More specifically the aims of the Society are as follows:
- To bring together general physicians, endocrinologist, nutritionists, nephrologists, pediatricians, pathologists, radiologists, gynecologists, rheumatologists and orthopedic surgeons so that a multidisciplinary approach may be used for prevention and research in metabolic bone disease.
- To disseminate knowledge about metabolic bone diseases to the medical community by means of lectures, seminars, and publications, and to general public by the medium of holding camps, magazine articles and public lectures.
- To conduct and promote research on metabolic bone diseases using epidemiological, clinical and basic science approaches.
- To establish centers for the diagnosis and treatment of metabolic bone diseases.
- To work with governmental and non-governmental agencies on public health issues related to metabolic bone diseases.
- Training of Indian physicians interested in metabolic bone disease.
- We have been regularly conducting IOF/ISCD related Bone Densitometry courses (present format is the “Osteoporosis Essentials Course) in India since 2009. We have recently released Guidelines for Osteoporosis in Indian scenario.
- We started our orthopedic initiative in Feb 2008 under the able guidance of Dr. Rajesh Malhotra, our orthopedic convener who has been a great motivator and moving force.
- ISBMR today has over 601 members. Those interested in joining the society can visit our website isbmr.org fill in the membership form and become a life time member by paying membership fees of Rs. 3000 only.
- We have been regularly conducting our annual conferences every year since 2005. In 2021 we experimented and held a hybrid conference in Hyderabad on 30th & 31st October 2021, under the leadership of Dr. Usha Sriram and Dr. Thomas Paul supported by many others. Our 18th Annual conference is scheduled in Chandigarh, from 23rd -25th September 2022.
- All this has been possible due to untiring efforts of our mentors, Presidents and Executive Committee members (Indian and International), both past and present. Special mention must be made of Dr. Ambrish Mithal (Padma Bhushan recipient) and Dr. Nikhil Tandon (Padma Shree recipient) who have diligently and in spite of their busy schedule, contributed their might to bring the society to where it is today. The society has a great future and your participation in all aspects of its functioning will be a great help.
- More details are available at society’s official website isbmr.org.