ECTS-Mellanby Training Course Diagnostic Tests for Osteoporosis – Clinical Use of Bone Turnover Markers
The 2020 ECTS-Mellanby Training Course on Diagnostic Tests for Osteoporosis is part of the ECTS Digital Congress Programme. All ECTS 2020 delegates can attend for free the course. A separate registration is also available for non congress delegates at a very special rate of 50€ (including VAT).
The event will combine
- Pre-recorded talks that can be viewed at your own peace after 6 November 2020 and
- Live and Interactive workshops, panel discussions and Q&A on 17 November 2020 from 14:30 – 17:30 CET
Bone Turnover Markers (BTM) have long been used as diagnostic tests for metabolic bone diseases. In the past 20 years, markers that are more specific to bone have been introduced and have been found to be useful in osteoporosis, particularly for monitoring treatment. This course aims to provide a background to the clinical use of bone turnover markers.
This day-long course is open to clinicians (e.g. endocrinology, rheumatology, care of the elderly and clinical chemistry), laboratory scientists and nurses involved in the clinical management of patients at risk of osteoporotic fractures.
At the end of the course, participants should:
- understand the process of bone remodelling and how this can be studied using BTM
- appreciate the methods used for measuring BTM and their sources of variability
- be able to identify the role of BTM in the diagnosis and monitoring of bone diseases in a number of clinical settings including; osteoporosis, chronic kidney disease, Paget’s disease, osteomalacia, and GIOP
- be familiar with best practice in the clinical use of BTM
An application has been made to the UEMS EACCME® for CME accreditation of the live event